Saturday, September 25, 2021

Thoughts on good works

 Appreciating the Good Works of Others

 
In this Sunday’s first reading and then in the gospel reading we see first the disciples of Moses and then those of Christ disturbed at the good works being performed or carried out by “others.” What is their problem? Moses suggests to his upset followers that they might be jealous of their achievements. Instead he says it would indeed be wonderful if everyone could do what they’re doing.

Jesus response is somewhat similar. If a person is performing a good deed in my name, leave them alone. What is important is the good deed they perform not who is doing it.

All of this reminds me of the challenge I have sometimes in rejoicing in the good works and success of others. Why shouldn’t I be able to rejoice in the success in good works of others. For me Moses hits nail on the head: I am jealous. For what reason I’m not sure, but whatever it is, is not good for me. It deprives me of the joy and enthusiasm I might have, and it prevents me from commending and congratulating and encouraging the person whose work it is. It seems to me that this response is akin to the reaction of the older son in the parable of the Prodigal Son.

The grace we pray for in the final week of the Spiritual Exercises is to enter into the joy, happiness and fulfillment of the risen Christ. This grace is a very rich gift which can empower and energize one’s work for the Kingdom. A helpful preparation for receiving such a gift is our taking part and entering into the accomplishments, successes and achievements of our day-to-day companions.
 
-Fr. Jim Blumeyer, S.J.

No comments: