Sunday, February 1, 2015

Groundhog Day

Now that we're into February it's clear that the new year has begun, but we're still in the early stages of it.  By now you should be comfortable writing 2015 on your checks and documents, that is, if you still write checks.  My check writing has mainly been reduced to contributions to my church, and money sent to my kid's school to fund their lunch accounts.  Even these could be done online now, but the school charges a fee to use online funding, which I think is crazy.  As for my church donations, if I used the online method then I would have to pass the plate without dropping in my envelope.  While God and the church know that I made my offering, it just wouldn't feel right if I didn't put something in the basket when it passed by.  Does anyone else feel this way?  While we are not supposed to judge people, I'm sure others might notice that I never put anything in the offering plate.  I guess there is something about the gesture of placing your weekly tithes and offerings into the collection basket during the offertory song at church, and now our envelopes have a box that you can check to indicate that you did give online.  That way, you can still drop your envelope and feel good about giving to God during the Mass or church service.  So what does this have to do with Groundhog Day?  Nothing, but I sure hope that groundhog doesn't see his shadow...I'm ready for spring!

No comments: