Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Sutherland, TX: Let love go before us...

Sunday. Again. Another story of a mass murder.

Just last week I prayed with the Manhattan truck attack. The people who died. The people left behind. Everyone who was hurt. Everyone. All of us. In one great lament. Inside my heart I asked God Why?  And I seemed to hear God’s own immense wail of sorrow. Lamentation. Pain at seeing death snatching his children again. God’s tears gave me permission to shed my own. To unite my lamentation to his. To blend my agony with the divine agonizing cry of love that rises from the heart of Jesus. To melt my Why? into mystery. They are the fierce tears stronger than those of a mother who would throw herself in the way of danger to save her child. As Jesus has done for us.  Last night I listened to the statement of the Pastor's wife at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas. I was both moved and humbled. It is clear that in the midst of this evil, they as a communityas a common Bodyare acting out of the premise that even with a church building beyond repair and many of their congregation now gone, they are still a community. All still one. Re-gathering, consoling and in reality re-membering one another. Evil carried but not absorbed.Let love go before us, then, to tend to the broken hearts. Let wisdom light the way, calling down the Holy Spirit on all of us that we might see the plan, God’s plan, and find our way together once more.
 
 
Sr Kathryn J. Hermes

No comments: