Thursday, February 15, 2018

Thoughts on failure



History is unrepeatable, historians say, but it can be re-lived many times in one's memory. I like to savor my successes; my failures I'd rather forget. I'm gradually wondering, however, "How much I owe to the day that, when called to failure, my steps were constrained to go."

Blunders, mistakes and missed opportunities could then be a means of grace and great blessing if I accept them as part of my call. "Souls that conquer must at first be the souls that fail." I wish there was another way.

Through humiliation "strength is baffled," I am disabused of my illusions of grandeur and brought very low. I do not like this. There, I am learning "to meet with the lowly."[1] with my losses enabling me "to find the heart of man," i.e., to get "in touch" with others' feelings. I can surely empathize with those who have fallen; I can quickly accept and love them as no other can.

But must I let go of regret. "As long as I remain [constrained] by things that I wish had not happened-mistakes I wish I had not made-part of my heart remains isolated, unable to bear fruit in the new life ahead of me."[2] Brooding over past disasters has and will continue to intimidate me, turning me away from love; feelings of inadequacy will always isolate me, making me afraid to venture out again.

So I guess I can say that accepting my failures is simple proof that I am inadequate indeed. In the core of my being, God's strength is made perfect in this weakness with grace to turn outward to others and to do so with greater compassion, sensitivity, wisdom and understanding. Thus it logically suggests that my mistakes are redeemed and put to God's intended purpose.

Failure is not ruinous; I am called to failure and owe much to each day that I fail. The lessons that we learn there, "are worth the price of the gale."

[1] I think Matheson is thinking here of Romans 12:16 and Paul's admonition to "associate with the lowly."
[2] Henri Nouwen 

John Fischer

No comments: