Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Conc fee?

Well, I am half-way home on my trip from Savannah to St. Louis. I am in Atlanta waiting for my connecting flight, which I recently found out was delayed 15 minutes due to the arriving flight from Birmingham being behind schedule. Once again I had to pay a $15 fee to check my bag on the flight. That got me thinking about all these nuisance fees. I noticed when I checked out of the hotel this morning that besides the room charges and sales tax, there was something called a city lodging fee of $1 and a bed occupancy tax (which is a fee) of $6.90. So for 2 nights, I paid an extra $16 in fees just to stay in the hotel. Thank goodness they had a free breakfast! Could you imagine if they charged a fee for that? No one would take it. When I dropped off my rental car at the airport and looked over the receipt, I noticed some more fees: a vehicle license fee ($1.86), a CFC fee ($3.00), and something called a Conc rec fee ($5.41). So that's 10 more dollars in fees! A Conc rec fee? What on earth is that? It's a good thing I had time to refuel the car before I dropped it off or I would have had a refueling fee on top of that. Now most people expect to pay sales taxes on things, but all these extra fees are really irritating. Why can't these businesses just wrap all the fees into the price that's quoted? Well, we live in a time when everyone wants transparency. On the one hand, it's nice to know who else is benefiting from my business transactions, but the number of fees just add up to a bunch of nonsense. This same thing happens on cell phone bills, cable bills, telephone bills, and just about everything else we consume, use, or purchase. Many of my clients wonder where all their money goes each month, and now I have the answer: nuisance fees! There was one more fee I found out about before I left the hotel. A parking ticket! That's another $10 fee!

No comments: