Thursday, October 9, 2014

Our days are numbered

Now that we are into October and have changed seasons from summer to fall (or autumn if you prefer), the number of riding days for motorcyclists is starting to diminish.  To be sure, there are some hearty souls who ride their bikes almost every day, no matter the weather, but for the recreational rider who prefers not to venture out in the rain and cold, the days are numbered.  While I will on occasion ride in temperatures as low as 40 degrees, properly dressed, I do prefer to ride when the temps are in the 60's on the low end.  To me, it's just not fun to ride when your teeth are chattering and you are cold.  I know that there are heated gloves and everything else to keep you warm and toasty, but I also don't like being bundled up too much when I ride.  When it rains, I don't ride no matter what the temperature is.  Again, I don't like losing visibility and braking distance on the wet roads.  I guess I am a fair weather rider.  I like dry roads and warm temperatures when I ride.
So I will wait out the storms and cold days ahead, but will keep my bike hooked up to the battery tender so that I can take her out when the next nice day arrives.  Here in the midwest, we can be blessed with 70 degree days in December and January, just as easily as 20 degree days.  So while I might not get out as much in the next few months, I will get out and enjoy some fresh air and wind therapy as often as I can.

No comments: