Saturday, November 14, 2015

My Left Foot

For the past 5 or 6 years or so, I have been taking a low dosage of high blood pressure medicine to control what was then diagnosed as mild hypertension.  Over the years I have maintained good blood pressure readings at my annual check ups, usually 120/80 or thereabouts.  This past May, my blood pressure reading came in at 100/80 which my doctor considered low.  He said to watch it and check back in six months for a follow up.  So last week at my follow up visit, my blood pressure reading was 108/80, still low.  So my doctor recommended that I stop taking the medication and see what happens in a month.  In addition to this, he advised me to begin a walking regimen, in order to help my body naturally adjust to the change and also to get a little bit of exercise which I was lacking anyway.  So I dutifully began taking 15-20 minute walks in the morning before I went to work.  I found it to be enjoyable to get some fresh air, clear my head, and take in a little exercise walking the hills of my neighborhood and surrounding area.  Everything was going fine until this past Thursday when, halfway through my walk, I stepped on a big, green, sweetgum ball, prickly thing that I did not see sitting on the sidewalk as I approached.  I rolled my ankle and immediately, dropped to the pavement, not knowing what had just happened.  As I picked myself up, I realized that my left ankle was in severe pain and I would not be able to continue my walk.  I hobbled across the street and made my way to the entrance to our subdivision, when I noticed a neighbor pull up in her vehicle and stopped when she saw me limping in pain.  She asked if I wanted a ride home which I quickly agreed to.  I told her what had happened and she wished me well as she dropped me off in front of my house.  By the time I got inside and inspected my foot, I noticed it had already begun to swell.  I decided to take some pain medication and go to work, but I could hardly walk the rest of the day.  Since I could put weight on my foot and the swelling wasn't purple and blue, I decided that I had not broken my ankle, but had just severely sprained it when I rolled it over that sweetgum ball.  The next day, I could walk a little better, but still with a slight limp, and very slowly at that.  I realized that my morning walks would have to come to an end for a while until my foot healed and I regained the flexibility needed to take brisk walks again.  Until then, I am suffering from the fact that my goal to get in better condition and off a daily medication, has landed me on the injury reserve list.  Oh well, it could have been worse, much worse, so I am grateful that it wasn't more serious.  This sort of thing does make you appreciate your overall good health and for that I thank God.

No comments: