Friday, May 24, 2019

Thoughts on friends

John 15:12-17

Friends, in today’s Gospel Jesus says to his disciples, “I do not call you servants any longer . . . but I have called you friends.”

Psychologists tell us that a true friend is someone who has seen us at our worst and still loves us. If you have encountered me only on my best days, when all is going well and I am in top form, and you like me, I have no guarantee that you are my friend. But when you have dealt with me when I am most obnoxious, most self-absorbed, most afraid and unpleasant, and you still love me, then I am sure that you are my friend.

The old Gospel song says, “What a friend we have in Jesus!” This is not pious sentimentalism; it is the heart of the matter. What the first Christians saw in the dying and rising of Jesus is that we killed God, and God returned in forgiving love. We murdered the Lord of Life, and he answered us not with hatred but with compassion. He saw us at our very worst, and loved us anyway.


Bishop Robert Barron

 

No comments: