Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Escape from reality

The other day, a friend of mine on facebook (Tammy, a high school friend that I reconnected with after 28 years!) posted an interesting status update: Tammy is recovering from reality! I told her to let me know how and when she does it because it would make a good topic for my blog. Her is what she wrote back to me:

"How to recover from reality. Well, I don't think I've quite recovered, but this is what I did/have been doing:

I try to make a plan. When life gets out of control, I try to control what I can. I revisit my budget, try to pay off some debt, do something productive. Sometimes this means something very simple, like cleaning the house. I may not be able to control the economy and what it's doing to my life, but I can control my immediate environment.

I push myself on a workout. I'll try to run faster or longer. Today I road hills with a group and tried to work hard enough that no one passed me. It's exhausting and makes me think about other things. Like how much my quads hurt.

I road on the back of my husband's motorcycle with him running errands, put a big scarf on and pretended to be Amelia Earhart or Isadora Duncan or the Red Baron.

I took a nap, watched mindless TV and will probably go to the movies tonight.

And I took lots of Extra Strength Excedrin."

Well, that really sums it up and it makes a lot of sense that everyone could use a bit of in these tough times. Instead of dwelling on how bad things are or seem to be, why not make a plan and do something about it. You can't solve all your problems right away, but you can take little steps to improve the situation you find yourself in. 1. Keep saving and investing, the markets will eventually come back and you'll be buying low along the way. 2. Pay down debt, you'll get a real return on your money when you get rid of those costly and annoying finance charges. 3. Take care of yourself. Get involved in exercise and/or recreational activities with your family and friends. I can't wait to get back on my motorcycle. In fact, it's suppose to hit 60 degrees today, so I'm taking my bike to work! 4. Get some sleep. Go to bed earlier. 5. Relax. You need some downtime. Nothing wrong with watching a little TV or movies. 24 is back and American Idol is down to the final 36 (now 27) contestants. 6. If nothing else, take an aspirin, or perhaps enjoy an adult beverage! Thanks for the insight, Tammy!

1 comment:

Dennis said...

I like reality. Really. Why would I want to escape. When you are as old as I am (64) reality is what you have.