Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar "highlights"

Ok, so I watched the Oscars last night in the comfort of my own home. My wife and I were invited to an Academy Awards party, but we couldn't swing a babysitter. The Oscars traditionally is a late night show, known for going over the time limit and being on a Sunday evening with work the next day, sometimes you just say "why bother"? But last night's show really did not produce any highlights to speak of. For one thing, all the major awards went to the projected and predicted winners. There were no upsets. And the rest of the program was kind of lame in my opinion. The musical numbers, the bad jokes, the boring acceptance speeches. Unlike year's past, there were no real surprises. Nothing that made people gasp or shout with glee. Where was the one armed push ups? The streakers? The wardrobe malfunctions? The speeches that had to be edited by the censors? For me, the best part of the show was Ben Stiller's impersonation of Joaquin Phoenix when he came out to present an award with Natalie Portman. It was hilarious! For those of you who did not see Joaquin Phoenix when he was on the David Letterman show recently, you owe it to yourself to find the clip. Now that's comedy! I guess my only other disappointment was that I haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire yet. But with 5 kids in the house, I'll probably have to wait until it comes out on DVD!

1 comment:

Dennis said...

I cannot believe that you watched that junk although I did watch Barbar Walters special beforehand and did like Hugh Jackman.