Monday, November 3, 2014

Time for another change

It's fitting that I write this post today, November 3rd.  Exactly 6 years ago, I wrote my first blog post.  It was called "Day before the election", which is also where we are today.  Originally, I did write a little about politics.  Thoughts about gas prices, daylight savings time, shopping, facebook, discount stores, fast food, holidays, really a little bit about everything.  That's why I called it Thoughts from Scott.  There was no real theme or purpose.  Over time, I started writing about financial matters, because that's what I do, I'm a financial advisor.  But financial firms don't like people like me writing about things that are not "approved".  Anything that I wrote needed to be approved by the Compliance Department!  What a headache!  That takes all the fun and spontaneity out of it.  So I started writing about motorcycles.  No one has to approve that.  After all, I rode motorcycles and like most people who do, I like to talk about it and share my thoughts on riding and such.

Well, now I've decided to make another change.  Get ready...  I'm going to talk about religion.  Not just any religion, but Catholicism!  Why?  Well, why not?  This past year, in April, April 14th to be exact.  I became a Catholic.  On the Easter Vigil, that is, the evening before Easter, I became a Catholic!  I had already been baptized as a child, so I did not need to be re-baptized, but I was confirmed and accepted into the Holy Catholic Church as a child of God, one of their own.  I took the Holy Eucharist (Communion) for the first time and it was awesome!  I love being Catholic.  So this morning, as I was praying and thinking about my day ahead, I decided that I would make this change to my blog.

Thoughts from Scott will now mainly focus on my life as a new Catholic believer and member of a local parish in St. Louis, Missouri.  I will share my thoughts, struggles, confusion, and joy about my experiences as a Catholic.  Now, I don't want people to think that I know it all, I just want to share my thoughts and if it helps someone else understand what it means to be Catholic or what Catholics believe, then that will be a good thing.  Feel welcome to share your thoughts and ask me questions.  If I don't know the answer, I will do some research, and/or ask my priest for help.  So may God bless you and me as I start this new venture!

No comments: