Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Don't miss the bus!

As a father of 5 children, I have to help out with the care giving of our kids. I generally rise first in the morning, so I can grab a cup of coffee and enjoy some peaceful moments to myself before the rest of the house awakes. My usual routine is to head straight for the computer in our kitchen and check the weather, my fantasy sports teams, and various news sites, in that order. Then I might check out some bank and credit card balances online, and see who might have posted an update on Facebook. Once the kids start to get up, I get their cereal ready, while they watch a little TV, and then begin to make lunches for my 2 school age boys. Now that I am writing my blog, my newest morning routine is to think of something to write about. Topics vary on my blog so it could be just about anything, but it often times comes from a news story or something that I've heard on the radio the day before. It could even be something that happens to me and my family, like yesterday. There's usually a period of time, perhaps a half hour, from when the boys eat their cereal, to when they leave the house for the bus stop. Usually they go downstairs and play in the basement, but yesterday, they went upstairs to my office, and played on our other computer. I was downstairs in the kitchen writing my blog. Consumed with my writing, I lost all track of the time. Before I noticed, it was 8:11 AM, time for the boys to get their shoes and coats on and head out the door for the bus. Then it occurred to me...I forgot to make their lunch! Now I was in trouble. I rushed them out the door and hoped they wouldn't miss the bus, and told them I would make their lunches and drop them off at school for them.
Whew! Crisis averted. I guess I need to adjust my routine so my blogging doesn't mess me up again. Of course, it did give me something to write about. Funny how life works.

No comments: