Monday, November 24, 2008

St. Louis Blogs

Like most bloggers, I suspect, when I decided to write a blog, I wondered who would read what I wrote? Who would find it? How would they find it? I first got the idea when I received an e-mail from my uncle in Oklahoma to let me know that he had started a blog to write about small and family owned businesses. That same week I had a conversation about my wife about the journals that she writes, and has kept, over the years. Now, like most men, I would imagine, I was not going to start keeping a journal. That's just another name for a diary, and real men don't keep diaries. But what about a blog? It's a written record of thoughts, like a journal, and it's a little more hip. Who would you rather talk to at a party, someone who tells you, "I keep a journal do you?" or "I write a blog in my spare time"? I'd go with the blogger. So that was it. I decided to write a blog. But again, who would read it? I noticed that my free blog site on blogger.com had a search box and would send me to someone else's blog when I clicked "next blog". But what were the chances of someone finding mine? I decided to do some research and looked up blogs in St. Louis, where I live. I found a few sites that listed blogs from people who live in the St. Louis metro area. One of them would only list you if you paid a membership and had 3 months worth of blogs to review. That left me out. But another was more straightforward, if you live in St. Louis or have a St. Louis connection, send us an e-mail. Can do! So, I sent my request to St. Louis Blogs (at www.stlouisblogs.org) letting them know that I would like to be listed on their site. I did not get a reply, but to my surprise, I noticed this past weekend that my blog had been listed on their site. I told my wife that I was published! I had been discovered. I was on my way to blogger fame and fortune. There's no stopping me now! In two more months I can join the St. Louis Bloggers Guild (after I pay my membership fee) and then wait for a newspaper or magazine to call me with an offer to join their staff. OK, so maybe I got a little ahead of myself. I need to think of something to write about tomorrow. Maybe blogging isn't as easy as it sounds.

No comments: