Friday, May 29, 2009

Garage sale!

I read an article today titled, American dream slipping away, which was really a story about how times have changed for the American auto worker.  While this is certainly true, I would not conclude that the American dream is slipping away.  It's just different.  I would suspect that if you asked 100 people what their "dream" was, you would get 100 different answers.  For some people it would be, to have a home, 2 kids, a good job, and a loving spouse.  For others, it might be to retire in the mountains or on the beach.  You get the point.  A recent study has discovered that a vast majority of people working today do not want to retire!  They plan to work until they die.  I'm not sure what I would do if I quit working.  For me, the American dream is enterprise.  If you sell something, people will buy it.  And people will buy just about anything.  Just check eBay and Craigslist anytime to see some of the crazy stuff people are selling.  Tomorrow, my wife is going to have a garage sale.  While I hate going to garage sales, and setting up for them, I do like selling things.  It's nice to collect money and see things that used to clutter your house, go away to another family.  Some people cannot afford new things and will find some great bargains at our little "store".  Of course, not everything will sell.  There will be leftovers for the next sale, or perhaps a donation at the local Good Will trailer.  So if you're in the market for some gently used kid clothes and toys, CD's, VCR movies, or who knows what, come on by!  

No comments: