Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Jargon and Lingo

I know today is Earth Day, but it is also "Administrative Assistants Day".  Remember when it used to be "Secretaries Day"?  In my work as a financial advisor, I have to help people understand financial concepts that are fairly simple, but made to sound complicated by words used by insiders known as "jargon".  Some examples are "dollar cost averaging", "asset allocation" and "diversification".  Human resource directors and others have changed words over time in an effort to respect diversity and be politically correct.  Other changes to words are a result of new uses that happen over time.  Look at a few examples of words that were once used but have been replaced by new words:

Garbage man - Sanitation Engineer
Housewife - Homemaker
Lawyer - Attorney
Stockbroker - Financial Advisor
Journal - Blog
Computer - Laptop
Laptop - Notebook
Bank - Banking Center
Stewardess - Flight Attendant
Actress - Actor
Waitress - Server
Mailman - Mail Carrier

There are obviously many other examples, but I'm sure you get my point.  We seem to like to make things sound more important than they really are.  Most people can read through the lingo and are not impressed.  While it's impressive to have a large vocabulary, lingo and jargon can often confuse people.  If you want to get your point across, state it simply.  Well, I need to get going.  I have to take my vehicle to the fueling station on my way to my place of business.  Oops, I mean I need to stop and get gas on my way to work!

1 comment:

Scott Wheeler said...

Some changes are for the better, as witnessed by the name of a lake in Webster, MA that locals changed from: Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg to Lake Webster!